ASP -> BSP and other Classification Questions

To: "'autox@autox.team.net'" <autox@autox.team.net>
Subject: ASP -> BSP and other Classification Questions
From: Carl Merritt <cmerritt@ati.com>
Date: Tue, 31 Aug 1999 21:05:52 -0700
I have been lurking on the group for a while now, and have found the debate
about moving some or all ASP cars to BSP quite intriguing.  I just finished
my rookie season in SFR's Rookie Street Prepared class with a ASP index on
my 300ZX 2+2 (non-turbo).  Trying to compete with such a high index was
quite daunting at times, with my having to beat DSP Rabbit GTIs that weigh
just 2000lbs and ESP Mustang Cobras that have over 300HP by a good couple
seconds each to post wins.

As I look ahead to next season, probably running in SFR's Street Tire class
for now, I look back and compare my indexed times from this season with the
Street Tire times from the same events, and the results are daunting:  A
whopping mid 500 points total for a full 18 race season.

Now sure, I am a rookie and still learning the trade, but I'm not _that_ bad
(I should take 3rd in RSP for the season).  I could take the easy way out
and start racing my Miata in BS, but I find the big car a lot more fun to
race and would like to somehow get it classified to be at least remotely
competitive.

If the 300ZX were moved from ASP to BSP, the change in index would increase
my theoretical Street Tire points for this season to the mid 700s, 6th
place.  Not trophy territory yet, but certainly close enough make for some
good competition and keep the fun alive.

Also, there was a limited edition Z produced and sold at Nissan dealers in
the states in '95 & '96, the SMZ.  Besides various cosmetic changes that I
could care less about, it had much better brakes and slightly more boost.
If there is some way to get the 300ZX, 300ZXTT, and SMZ classified on the
same line in Appendix A for SP, then that would also help give just a little
more push to what is now a very fun but terribly over-classed car.

-Carl Merritt
1990 300ZX 2+2
1995 Miata
1980 528i