Legality of Body Parts on '99 Miata Sport

To: autox <autox@autox.team.net>
Subject: Legality of Body Parts on '99 Miata Sport
From: "Burns, James B." <BurnsJB1@central.SSD.JHUAPL.edu>
Date: Wed, 1 Sep 1999 08:51:07 -0400
A couple of weeks ago I bought a used '99 Miata Sport.  The Sports Package
comes with a front airdam and rear spoiler, but this car also has the side
sill extensions and rear mud guards from the Appearance Package.  According
to the sales brochure, the Appearance Package is n/a with Sports Pkg., so
apparently the previous owner installed these Appearance Pkg. parts to his
Sports Pkg car.  I'm wondering whether the side sill extensions are legal on
this car for the BS class.

The rules allow appearance items which have no performance advantage and
don't reduce weight.  From what I've seen, adding mudguards or lights or a
luggage rack is okay.  The side sill extensions have no aerodynamic
advantage at autox speeds (probably not at any speeds), they add weight, and
they make the car wider in front of the rear wheels which makes it more
likely to tag a cone.  They are a Mazda factory part.  But, some might argue
that they are an aerodynamic aid and according to Mazda were n/a with the
Sports Pkg. and are therefore not legal.  So what do y'all think?

It's probably not a big deal to remove these parts, and I could probably
even find a buyer for them, and I'll like the car with or without them.  But
I am concerned about the condition of the paint underneath, and that's why
I'm asking about their legality.

Thanks,
Brad Burns