Re: NopiNationals

To: Dale.Seeley@usa.xerox.com
Subject: Re: NopiNationals
From: Ben Thatcher <bthatch@juno.com>
Date: Wed, 1 Sep 1999 09:33:44 +0000

 "Seeley, Dale E"  writes:

> Hi Ben,
> I just learned of the "RTP" index.  Hmm... I thought this was going
> to be a
> heads up drag/autox event....

It is. However, you wouldn't be thrilled to run against an A-Mod car
without some method to level the playing field, would you? Granted, this
won't happen unless you win your group and are in the running for the
overall NOPI Nationals Championship.

> What are the current RTP numbers for group #2 and group #4?  How do
> they
> correlate to distance on course?  Assuming that since STU is first
> on the
> line we'll be heavily penalized for having a solid motor mount, how
> dificult
> will it be to make a decision in the next two days to either change
> classes
> to CSP or 'de-register' for the event?  We are willing to return the
> car to
> CSP legal trim id needed.

I think you are making bigger deal of this than necessary. You will
notice that the classes are grouped together in close proximity of RTP
index. This means that there will not be more than about a 90 foot
setback between cars within the group. STU has a better (slower) index
than CSP. For example on a 2900 foot course an STU car would get a 49
foot head start on a CSP car.

A lot of people believe that having the slowest index in a group is an
advantage. Bumping up to CSP would hurt your cause, not help. The CSP
index is 0.838 while the STU index is 0.824.

I hope this helps. If not, let's keep talking.

Ben Thatcher
Apex Benefit Services & Motorsports
Stockbridge, GA
Phone 770.474.1402