Ellis Island Re: W.O.P.

To: "Cheryl & Leland Burns" <cmburns@gte.net>, <autox@autox.team.net>
Subject: Ellis Island Re: W.O.P.
From: "Matt Murray" <mattm@optonline.net>
Date: Thu, 2 Sep 1999 07:48:24 -0400
One version of the origination of the term "WOP" was "With Out Papers"
as people who immigrated from Europe. As a person entering Ellis
Island, I guess the folks there had to classify people to keep the
process moving. Sort of like Nationals registration (A-X content).
Those "With Rule Books" and those "With Out Rule Books" (you know who
you are). I'm not sure as to why it applied to one Nationality as
opposed to another. It was and still is a denigrating term.

Matt (Doing my best Phil E. impersonation)  Murray

mailto:mattm@optonline.net