Nationals Friendliness (WAS: RE: Impound Legalities)

To: autox@autox.team.net
Subject: Nationals Friendliness (WAS: RE: Impound Legalities)
From: dg50@daimlerchrysler.com
Date: Thu, 9 Sep 1999 09:08:34 -0400
Rocky Entriken" <rocky@tri.net> wrote:

> As a more practical matter, with 900+ of your closest friends on site, you
> can count on plenty of help doing things like making those pesky gaskets
> seal properly.

Amen to that!

It's probably worth mentioning to any freaked-out newbies that as big and
important as this event is, you won't find a better, friendlier, more
sportsmanlike group than autocrossers (heh, I like Scotty's "cone masher")

If you have any questions or problems - any AT ALL - just ask someone. Anyone!
You'll get more help than you ever thought possible.

My favourite Nats story - I went to my first Nats in '97, and it was maybe my
6th or 7th autocross _ever_. I only had enough money for 2 tires, so I went to
the BFG truck, bought 2 tires, (swapping the street tires off my only set of
wheels) and stuck them on the front of the car.

Ross Fortini, the only other DSM in GS, comes over to look at the car, sees the
street tires on the rear, and goes nuts. What, am I crazy? I sheepishly explain
that it's all I can afford, and Ross goes running off. 5 min. later, Ross comes
back with a pair of unmounted race tires, _gives_ them too me (wouldn't take any
money for them) and proceeds to apologize profusely that they are a
non-competitive width!

I still have those tires. I figure I'll either give them to another newbie in
trouble some day, or maybe I'll make a few sets of high-grip Ho Chi Minh
sandals. :)

Solo people are like that, and it's a big part of what makes this sport so
special.

Leaving for KS in 4 hours!

DG