re: AS Topeka results, DOT tires

To: AnalogMike@aol.com, autox@autox.team.net
Subject: re: AS Topeka results, DOT tires
From: TeamZ3@aol.com
Date: Thu, 16 Sep 1999 23:31:23 EDT
In a message dated 9/16/99 9:25:16 PM Central Daylight Time,
AnalogMike@aol.com writes:

<< >
 >  It think Mark Sipe also proved that Hoosiers can work well on the BMW's in
 >  A-Stock.

 Interesting, as they seem to need wide wheels and lots of camber for the
 ultimate performance.  >>

Actually, the current A3S03 and R3S03 Hoosier radials are much more forgiving
than earlier versions for camber requirements.  I would rate them as equal to
the current BFG and Kumho tire offerings for camber requirement.  The
critcial aspects with the current Hoosier radials are tire pressure,
alignment, and shock settings.

There are a number of new Hoosier and Kumho converts; the BFG area was
essentially deserted.  The critical comments I hear from both current and
ex-BFG drivers regarding the g-Force always seem to include the words
"arrogance" and "denial".  Leaks have sprung that prototype tests of the next
generation g-Force *totally suck*, so it's back to the drawing board.  Kumho
is supposedly working on a new tire for possible release in 2000, but I heard
that last year too.

The Weather Channel totally blew it for Tuesday.  All reports stated clear
and sunny high pressure area; it rained most of the day from Heat 2 onward in
varying amounts.  It actually stopped and the course dried before the running
of SSL and AS, only to restart after the first 6 or 7 AS drivers went out.
All the drivers with high car numbers like Bill Buetow (71 AS) and myself (99
AS) could only sit in total frustration as the course became saturated before
we could make our first run.  For those who ran in the wet, Kumho was the
tire that continuously turned the top times.  None of the Hoosier drivers
were prepared for rain.  That will never happen to me again, ever.

The weather was the luck of the draw.  Paul Kozlak ran strong all year.  He
is as deserving of the 1999 A Stock National Championship as anyone.  I'm
very happy for him.

Mark Sipe