Re: YOUR IDEA

To: "Jeff Lloyd" <jslz3@hotmail.com>, <autox@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: YOUR IDEA
From: "Jamie Sculerati" <jamies@mrj.com>
Date: Sat, 18 Sep 1999 21:25:11 -0400
----- Original Message -----
From: Jeff Lloyd <jslz3@hotmail.com>

> I think we are all in agreement that the Stock classing structure needs a
> major overhaul....

We are?

> ...we need to abandon the Idea that cars
> should be classed by things like price, Apperance, drive layout, ect..
and
> be classed purely on performance potential...

Let's take my favorite class, G Stock, as an example.  Among the
front-running cars over the last couple of years, we have:

Integra Type R -- about $25K list new, front drive, 1.8-liter n/a 4-cyl,
about 190 hp, 2500 lbs
Mitsubishi Eclipse -- about $22K list new, AWD, 2.0-liter turbo 4-cyl, about
200 hp, 3200 lbs
Camaro/Firebird V-6 -- about $15K? list new, RWD, 2.8-liter n/a 6-cyl,
about, 210hp?, 3100 lbs?
MX-6 -- about $21K list new, FWD, 2.5-liter n/a 6-cyl, about 165 hp, 2900
lbs (only one example -- in GSL -- at     Nats this year, but still pretty
popular in regional competition)
4th-gen Prelude VTEC -- about $24K list new, FWD, 2.2-liter n/a 4-cyl, about
190 hp, 3000 lbs
Audi A4 -- upper $20s, lower $30s list new?, AWD, 2.4-liter turbo 4-cyl?,
about 200hp?, over 3000 lbs none at     Nats this year -- Team Butt Heat
migrated to Type Rs -- but they did well last year)

Seems to be a pretty diverse group to me -- and no clear overdog (there were
as many Type Rs in the bottom half of GS as the top half last week....).

I think the effort *is* to class cars based on their performance
potential -- it may not always work out, and IMO it could be done more
logically at times, but I *am* convinced the choices are made in good faith
based on the assessed performance potential of each car.

> Who is willing to help me here? and be a part of what could one of the
best
> things to happen to soloII since the invention of the R-tire.

Now you're assuming we all think the R-tire was the best thing to happen to
Solo II...!

Jamie
'92 Prelude Si
Speed Demon Racing