ST tire options and more musings

To: autox@autox.team.net
Subject: ST tire options and more musings
From: Steve Wynne <swynne@bendnet.com>
Date: Wed, 22 Sep 1999 00:20:34 -0700
Hi all, I may be alittle behind this discussion because I'm in digest
mode but, I wanted to express my two cents on this issue.

First, I won the ProSolo National Series ST title in a "Highline" Neon
on 16" Yokohama A520s that I use only for autox and have lasted most of
this season.

I think we should leave the ST tire rules as they are. Most of us have
not yet come close to building our cars to the limit of the rules so it
is unrealistic to say one tire or the other is better at this point. I
went with the A520s because of the sizes they were available in, the
huge tread blocks to "lean" on when worn down, as well as the price. The
only way I can see using a spec tire is if some manufacturer steps up to
the plate and offers a contigency package similar to what DC had with
Neons in DS and ES (please come back and support all Neons).

Why not have a National street tire class? ST seems like a perfect fit
for my car and I've had a great time with it. Look at the exciting
variety of cars in this years ProSolo Series-a trick Neon ACR Project
car, highmileage Civics, Preludes, Non-ACR Neons, Integras, etc. All
trying different routes and coming darn close together in the results.
Depending of how things work out, I plan on running in this class next
year stronger than ever. Running in a street tire class makes sense for
me and my car. Those of you with competitve rides in the conventional
classes can run there (no flaming intended).

One drawback to street tires is something I experienced recently. When
you are running r-tire times in small lots and lose it, you definitely
don't stop as quick as r-tires would. I lost it a 60 MPH and slid 69
yds, 34" and needed 70 yds. Sorry OR-Region and be careful guys!

Thanks all for such great year!

Steve Wynne
#6 ST Highline Racing