Re: Noise Level Plan for Solo 2

To: Alan Pozner <apozner@epix.net>
Subject: Re: Noise Level Plan for Solo 2
From: Scott Meyers <solo2@uswest.net>
Date: Wed, 22 Sep 1999 14:47:25 -0700
Alan Pozner wrote:

> As a former sound engineer let me say that its not that simple.
>
> As an example - a little tinny transistor radio can be annoying to the point
>that
> everyone asks to turn it down yet the thing might be putting out only 70dB. A
>high
> quality stereo on the other hand can play at 90dB and no one complains.
>
> I propose that it's the "annoyance" level that we would like to regulate not
>the dB
> level. I can only think of one way to do that and its called ( drum roll
>please ) ...
>
> COMMON SENSE.
>
> IF YOU'VE GOT A LOUD CAR AND PEOPLE ARE CONSTANTLY COMPLAINING ABOUT IT THEN
>GET A
> MUFFLER ON THE DAMN THING :-)

Darn that was loud. Please type more softly.  :-)

Well, we all know it would be tough to define common sense, and there
are situations where it seems to be in short supply  ;-)

What *would* work (SIMPLY...oops...shhh)? Not that this is the greatest
problem in the world......

BTW - I understand your point about the radio, and how it relates to the
RX-7 brand of noise - like fingernails on the chalkboard. Some noise is
more audibly 'abrasive' than others - but how could it be 'leveled' so
the traveler is not fearful.

I used common sense (back when I still had some) and put a high
performance muffler on my car - no loss of power, not that loud. It
seems that others with a noise problem probably know they have one, and
need to take steps before going elsewhere. "Don't leave home without it".

RX-7 mufflers do not have to be mega$$$. They do need to be steel
packed/constructed and not fiberglass - the fiberglass would melt as the
exhaust temps are around double recip engines.

**No big deal** - just thought there should be a quick simple answer.
Forgot where I was :-)

S Meyers