RE: KYB AGX is rebranded GAB Super HP?

To: "Delta-V" <delta-v@kscable.com>, "Team.Net" <autox@autox.team.net>
Subject: RE: KYB AGX is rebranded GAB Super HP?
From: "Arlyn Strano" <arlyn@stranoparts.com>
Date: Thu, 23 Sep 1999 08:39:45 -0400
Mac,

GAB is owned by Yokohama Tire and they are imported to this country by Wings
Corp in California.  Yokohama did the research and development.  They then
contracted with KYB to build the GABs for them.
More than several years ago, KYB built their own externally adjustable
struts/shocks and they were not successful and pulled from production.  I
think that KYB realized that the adjustable market was viable if done
correctly(Tokico ,GAB, Koni) and made a corporate decision to pirate the
GABs.
If you notice the names are very similar GAB-AGX.  The external design is
almost identical.  As to the valving, if you call both companies and ask for
the rates and dimensions they will also be  almost identical.  However, many
of our customers tell us that the valving is softer in the AGXs.  I don't
know if that is a fair comparison since I do not have many customers who
have run both brands on the same car at different times.  Mike Potocki, CS
MR2 non-turbo, hss them on the both  on his car, GABs in the front and AGXs
in the rear.
GABs are not rebuildable, Konis are.  But, there is an alternative.
Shocktek in Girard, PA makes an adjustable BILSTEIN.  They are mounted with
a coil over setup that can be used with Coilovers or Eiback ProKits etc.  We
have many customers driving on them as well as Sam's ESP Camaro.  For any
info on the Shocktec/Bilsteins, some of the Shocktek customers are: Gary
Godula, Byron Short, Bill Ozinga, Ian McFetridge, Mike Pahls, Pat Griffith,
Juan Froehlich, Darrin DiSimo, Bill Salie and again Sam Strano.  I am sure
anyone of the these guys would be happy to tell you what a diffence this
units made.
You now have a viable alternative with a lifetime warranty.

Hope this helps,

Arlyn Strano
Strano Performance Parts
800 729 1831

From: "Moore, John" <jmoore@spyglass.com>
>Information I just got indicates that the new KYB AGX Adjustable shock is
>identical to the GAB Super HP shock and is  the same shock but with the KYB
>name on it instead of GAB. I also have information that indicates that GAB
>adjustables are all made by KYB? Can anyone confirm this?
I can say that, for the DSM's, the GAB, KYB, and the stock shocks all use
the same shock body.  It's my understanding that the GAB is, in fact, build
by KYB.  I believe that the GAB shocks have a stiffer valving than the AGX,
however.  I wonder, however, why you don't have the Koni's replaced under
the lifetime warrenty, or at least have them rebuilt?  I've blown out 2
GAB's in 2 years, and haven't been able to find anyone who will rebuild
them, and my 2nd attempt at warrenty replacement was unsuccessful, while the
first replacement took 4 months.  I think there are a number of places that
will rebuild Koni's, however.

Mac Crossett
1996 Eagle Talon TSi AWD #49ESP