What I did this weekend...

To: autox@autox.team.net
Subject: What I did this weekend...
From: Darren Madams <darren@madams.com>
Date: Mon, 11 Oct 1999 15:17:01 -0700 (PDT)
Well I had a really fun weekend.  I went to watch the American
LeMans at Laguna Seca along with the Womens Global GT series and
the Speedvision World Challenge (Touring) and Ferrari Challenge!

What a load of fun!  I got to see Scotty White battle it out in
his beautiful C5 Corvette in the Touring 1 class (or whatever
they call it these days....  Scotty just came back from runoffs
(I still can't figure how, since he raced Friday morning right?)
so didn't get a chance to qualify so he had to start last.  After
gaining 3 or 4 positions in the first 3 turns, they tried to go
3 wide around turn 4 (which is almost possible) and with a little
bumping and rubbing Scotty came out of the corner real loose and
saved it once, twice, but lost it on the third wag and spun.  He
got going again and fortunately there was a yellow flag so he was
able to catch up the field.  So much for those cold tire driving
skills, huh Scotty? :)  Eventually, he managed to work his way
up to 9th place (this in a 20+ car field, no?) followed by his
team-mate who was higher but looked to be suffering from a rapidly
failing motor!  What a fantastic drive from Scotty!!!  Fortunately
I was in the turn 4 grandstands and got a perfect view of his
spin while explaining to the people around us that autocrossers
do so much better on cold tires! :)

I also got to see the Alex Job Racing team and the new car that
replaced the one that Greg Fordahl raced at Nationals.  So yes,
it was a LeMans GT car and yes they're really high-tech and cool!
And, they had 2 of them there!  Sheesh! :)  Greg was there too
but he was busy eating lunch.  Those professional teams have it
rough, big shade tents, catered lunches, air conditioned trailers,
etc.!!!  :)

I got to watch Belinda Endress in her ohsocute Panoz with eyes
and lashes!  I don't know where she ended up, but she looked to
be doing pretty well!  Those Panoz' sure sound slow (even their
prototype cars) but damn are they fast!

We also saw Jeff and Sandy Glorioso (Shaunas parents) hanging
out trying to get news of how Shauna was doing at runoffs.  How
terrible that must have been to know she was in a big accident
and not being able to be there!

And then on Sunday we went over to Fresno for a fresno chapter
autocross and drove on one of the best courses I've ever been
on!  What a perfect weekend!

I'll upload pictures tonight and post 'em

        --Not So Ace Reporter, Darren

p.s. Matt Murray, can you get me the numbers of the girls that
were working the Speedvision tent during the autograph signing
session! :)