Question: Physics of Slaloms

To: autox@autox.team.net
Subject: Question: Physics of Slaloms
From: Craig Blome <cblome@yahoo.com>
Date: Fri, 15 Oct 1999 10:38:19 -0700 (PDT)
Hey all,

I've been trying to figure something out about slaloms
and getting myself confused.  All of the stuff on
course design I've seen (e.g. RHJ's notes) treat a
car's path though a slalom as a series of semicircular
arcs connected together, presumably with the car
traveling at a constant speed.

Problem is this:  At the junctions between arcs, the
car would have to have an instantaneous change in
lateral acceleration from full-left to full-right in
order to make this work.  That obviously isn't
possible.  The only way to get smooth changes in
lateral acceleration would be to have the car take a
sinusoidal path through the slalom, which looks a bit
different.  Is this a better model of the car's path?

Reason I'm asking is, I'm attempting to work out a
physical explanation for whether a narrow car is
faster through a slalom than a wide one.  I know
empirically that tends to be true, but I'm thinking it
might not be solely due to the smaller side-to-side
distance traveled.  I tried using the semicircle
assumption and the math got WAY ugly.

Anyway, TIA for any help or references y'all can give
me.

Craig "yeah, I KNOW I should get out more" Blome