Re: Shocking Question...

To: "Kelly, Katie" <kkelly@spss.com>, <autox@autox.team.net>,
Subject: Re: Shocking Question...
From: "Robert Glover" <rob@f-body.org>
Date: Mon, 15 Nov 1999 17:23:43 -0800
I haven't seen a reply to this yet, so I'll take a stab at it...

From: "Kelly, Katie" <kkelly@spss.com>

> My Konis, which I purchased used, I think are about 3 years old. They've
> been on Lucy for about two years, 40,000 miles. I don't know how many
miles
> they logged on the other Miata.

Given that they have 40k from your car, and who-knows-how-many from the
previous car, that alone tells me that they're probably coming due.  The
Bilsteins I have on my Camaro have been in use since 1996 and were on my old
93Z before I put them on my 98Z.  Now they have about 60k miles total, and I
can tell that the compression is much softer now, and rebound isn't what it
used to be.

> Also, when set at full soft, Lucy wallows, like a Cadillac. Is this
normal?
> I mean, I don't know. That's why I'm asking.

That depends on the range of adjustment on the Konis.  I suspect it
shouldn't be that way, but it depends whether the lowest (softest) setting
is well below what would be useful on the car, and the highest (firmest)
setting also being above what is useful.  I don't think this is how Konis
are made, though.

Tri-Point has a shock dyno and is an authorized Koni rebuilder.  You might
want to talk to Mark or one of the other guys there about maybe getting them
checked.

Rob