Re: Various illimination rants

To: "Mark Sirota" <msirota@isc.upenn.edu>
Subject: Re: Various illimination rants
From: "Justin Hughes" <ka1ult@channel1.com>
Date: Thu, 2 Dec 1999 15:18:44 -0500
> I've been saying since 1986 that common brake/turn filaments should be
> outlawed.  Why did we add a third light, rather than at least
> requiring that all cars have two, even when they're signalling?

Indeed.  I'd go one step further and require that on new cars all turn
signals, front AND rear, should be amber - red is reserved for tail and
brake lights.  I believe some countries already have this requirement, which
is probably the only reason we get some cars equipped this way in the U.S.
I have nothing against "clear corners" for signals (OEM, like the newest
BMWs and Corollas, or aftermarket replacements), and think that on many cars
they look pretty darn good, providing that the bulbs used in them are amber.
Clear bulbs in clear signals are too bright, unsafe, and just plain ugly.
And don't even get me started on the ri... I mean import tuning crowd's
clear brakelights...

    - Justin