Re: AM Turnout (was Fine print)

To: SunRider <SunRider@worldnet.att.net>, <lollipop@ricochet.net>
Subject: Re: AM Turnout (was Fine print)
From: Bill Ozinga <oz@tirerack.com>
Date: Mon, 27 Dec 1999 08:48:27 -0500
on 12/26/99 11:24 PM, SunRider at SunRider@worldnet.att.net wrote:

>> If you'll click on napylon.com
>> and then click on the feature cone, you will find a fun article on driving
>> the Milligan/Cheng "Phantom."

Jim McKamey's car (which he always referred to as Trudi's car) is at
http://www.tirerack.com/features/images/cars/am331.jpg
and is shown in it's multiwinged "Gothic Cathedral" era.

George Bowland's car (now owned by the Engstroms) is shown at
http://www.tirerack.com/features/images/cars/am251.jpg

These photo's are from Nationals in 96.

It's a good example of the evolution of the class as well, as they both were
the car/driver to beat in their time. Jim's car has an aluminum block V8
(Buick/Rover) and is pretty big and somewhat heavy car.

Bowland's car is smaller, lighter and snowmobile powered (Arctic Cat). After
some development, it proved to be a quicker car than McKamey's, but there
were times the McKamey factor more than made up for the difference.

CenDiv was treated to some amazing shows from these guys. Having McKamey in
my home region gave me alot of time to watch this car, and I saw Jim do some
truly astounding things with it. Physics be damned.

It's sort of a bear vs. bee. Both can mess you up, just in different ways.

Bill Ozinga - webmaster@tirerack.com
Webmaster - The Tire Rack
http://www.tirerack.com
Ph.(888)541-1777 or (219)287-2345