Re: Sponsors

Subject: Re: Sponsors
From: "Mark J. Andy" <marka@telerama.com>
Date: Wed, 29 Dec 1999 10:14:31 -0500 (EST)
Howdy,

On Wed, 29 Dec 1999, Mark J. Andy wrote:
> There are a number of ways to do this.  The two main ones I've seen for
> hobby racing are:

Oh, I forgot a couple other things I've learned about sponsors.

#1, they're a pain in the butt.  When you've got a sponsor you've also got
a commitment to show up to events and promote them.  This is great right
up until something happens at work or at home that conflicts with the
event.

#2, they're a pain in the butt.  You've got to constantly keep up the
releationship by keeping the updated on how you're doing, etc.

#3, they're a pain in the butt.  You'll probably need to do appearances
for them in some manner which basically involves all the travel and
planning to get to a race but none of the fun.

I used to chase sponsors a lot in my former bike racing career.  I had to,
'cause I couldn't really afford to pay my own way.  Now that I'm autoxing,
the costs are bearable and I can forgo all the various sponsor dicking
around.  I'm much happier because of it and autoxing stays a fun hobby
rather than becoming work like bike racing did.

Mark
(none of this really applies to "friendly sponsors" like when the family
business is your sponsor, etc.  Hi Sam! :-)