Odd handling at today's event

To: National Autox <autox@autox.team.net>
Subject: Odd handling at today's event
From: Travis Lane <gofastlane@yahoo.com>
Date: Mon, 5 Jun 2000 03:12:02 -0700 (PDT)
Howdy all,

I just got a set of front camber plates installed on my '88 M3 on Friday and
had my first even-remotely-spirited drive on them today at an autox and
learned
*again* that in competition is not the best place to test a new setup.

It was noticeable by the second turn that the car was out of sorts.  In tight
turns, at maximum G's and a good bit of steering lock the car would lurch
once, twice or three times, proportional to the length of turn as if something
were binding -> breaking free, binding -> breaking free...(1st run-61.549+1)

The only change was the addition of -3 degrees front camber from the camber
kit, so I sought to remove the camber before my next run.  Well, the RD strut
bar is in the way of doing this and has to come out, but I only had time to
unbolt one side of the strut bar from the mounting plate (rendering the strut
bar useless) when it was time to run again.

I run, and the problem is gone, totally gone(2nd run-59.242+1).  I never
changed the camber, so I removed the bar completely and run my third run and
still no problem, it actually feels in the best shape that I've run it in,
although it still needs much help.(3rd run-59.408 {had to go easy to be
clean})

Question:  Can someone explain the dynamics of how the additional camber would
cause this?

Related info:
'88 M3
steel contol arms and early bushing
Bilstein sports
Eibach Springs *I think* from PO(about 1.5" lower)
K-mac front camber kit (-3 degrees left and right)
about -3.5 degrees negative rear camber from lowering
RD front strut bar (emeritus)
OEM 15" BBS wheel w/ 225/50/15 Kumho V700's
Autocrossing on a somewhat bumpy lot

I've had a similar experience/sensation when I removed the front sway bar from
my E36M3.  I checked the E30 and the sway is fine.

Thanks for your help,
Travis

Yahoo! Photos -- now, 100 FREE prints!
http://photos.yahoo.com