RE: First draft C&C / 2 driver/disabled

To: <autox@autox.team.net>
Subject: RE: First draft C&C / 2 driver/disabled
From: "Michael Bullis" <Mike@benchmarksales.net>
Date: Wed, 7 Jun 2000 09:15:36 -0700
<<     Control modifications which allow a disabled driver to
       operate the vehicle will be permitted, provided that
       the disabled driver is competing in the event, they are
       appropriate for safe use in a Solo-II event, and are approved
       by both the state's vehicle safety inspection program and
       the event safety steward.

[How about 2-driver cars, where only one is disabled???] >>

this is now accomplished by submitting a detailed description of what
controls are to be installed & how they function to the SEB for a case by
case review.

I have a rather elaborate (and heavy) setup in our car.  We submitted
details of what was done to the car to the SEB / they reviewed it and
provided a written waiver - for our particular vehicle.

My big concern at the beginning of the season was the two driver car issue.
Due to the nature of my disabilities I NEED a steering wheel that is 1"
smaller in diameter than stock & have a surface that is significantly
"grippy-er".  Without this I would be a hazard while on course.

Here is the kick...  my wife is not disabled / we are able to de-activate
the pneumatic clutch (which by the way is activated by an aftermarket shift
knob ;-)  ) / and the regular hand controls are modified in a way as to not
interfere with the regular pedals.  But she has to drive with the wheel that
I need.

I can only speculate here - but given that a steering wheel changes with the
1" diameter drop  is allowed on older cars, we were given an OK on this
item.  I felt it was important though to mount it in the EXACT location of
the stock wheel.

If the steering wheel gave my wife some sort of absurd advantage over the
competition, I believe we would have been instructed to make some changes.

The SEB will have to police this one IMO.  Otherwise it could easily be
abused.  For instance, I am currently developing a device that will help me
operate the shift lever(right now it's down right impossible while on
course).  But I will be very carful as to not make it a mechanical advantage
over what ever an able-bodied driver can do.  My design, with pictures and
an accurate description of how it works will be sent off for review, if it
is seen as an advantage, I'll make changes to my design.  It's that simple.

Mike
95 ZR-1