RE: 1/4 Mile

To: "'sjohnson@kcnet.com'" <sjohnson@kcnet.com>
Subject: RE: 1/4 Mile
From: Jeffrey Blankenship <jblanken@amdocs.com>
Date: Wed, 7 Jun 2000 10:01:00 -0500
Scott Johnson wrote:

> >My D-Stock '93 Sentra SE-R, stock muffler, K & N.
> >1/4   15.391
> >MPH   87.75
> >How much faster is an ACR???
>
> It's not.  Thanks for letting the cat out of the bag and
> blowing our chance to go to ES. :-)
> 93 SE-R -> not even close to 15.4 in the 1/4

Don't feel bad.  I only drag race once a year.
I use the OEM Eagle RS-As.
The best my '96 neon Sport Coupe (DS) did in '98:

R/T     1.071
60'     2.345
1/8     10.333 @ 67.34 MPH
1/4     16.144 @ 84.72

This essentially duplicated my best time in '97, which was a lower
16.1.

If you think that sux, consider this.  In '99 I drove a rented 2000
NEON with an automatic on OEM tires and here's the best score:

R/T     0.955
60'     2.605
1/8     11.872 @ 60.20 MPH
1/4     18.330 @ 76.79

This was with a brutal launch, rev to limiter in neutral, then
dump into drive.  More gentle launch techniques like powerbraking
cost up to 1/2 second.

Oh, disclaimer, don't look at those reaction times as typical.  But
don't get your hopes up that I'll give away a win by redlighting.  :^)
---
Jeffrey D. Blankenship                     Senior Technical Consultant
jblanken@amdocs.com                        Amdocs - ITDS - TRIS+
neon enthusiast #478                       Champaign, IL, USA