SW Divisional #1 TRAFFIC Alert!

To: "Team . Net" <autox@autox.team.net>
Subject: SW Divisional #1 TRAFFIC Alert!
From: "Jim Hedderick" <jhedderick@worldnet.att.net>
Date: Wed, 7 Jun 2000 20:10:10 -0500
If you are NOT coming to the Houston Divisional this
weekend, sorry for the bandwidth & please delete.

For those of you coming to the Houston Divisional
this weekend, be advised that US 59 will be closed
between loop I-610 and 288 from Friday 8:00 PM
until Monday morning. All traffic is being diverted
onto loop 610, US 288, and I-45. Coming down I-45
through downtown Houston or around the West side
of Houston on Loop I-610 will be a MESS.

Some alternatives:

If you are coming in I-10 from the East, South on
Loop I-610 to I-45 MAY not be too bad, but Sam
Houston Tollway South to I-45 will likely be better,
except for the $3 toll. Route 146 through Baytown
and Texas City may not be too bad Saturday
morning, but traffic around Kemah may make it
difficult Friday night. I-45 may back up for a few
miles just South of the Beltway around rush hour,
but this is normal.

If you are coming in US 59 from the South, I-10
from the West, or 290 from the Northwest, Loop
610 and any route inside the loop on the West
side of Houston will be bad after about 3:00 PM
Friday due to rush hour and practically impassable
when they close US 59 at 8:00 PM . Taking the
Sam Houston Tollway (Beltway 8) South to I-45
will bypass the main areas of congestion, but
the tolls are $2 to $4 plus extra for a trailer. This
road occasionally gets blocked by an accident
but it is rare. I-45 may back up for a few miles
just South of the Beltway around rush hour, but
this is normal.

If you are coming in from I-45 North or US 59
North, you have my sympathy. The Sam Houston
Tollway (Beltway 8) is expensive and about 20
miles longer. Loop I-610 around the EAST (NOT
West) side of Houston only adds about 8 minutes
to the trip, but there will be some rush hour issues.

Taking the 288 South exit off the South End of the
Beltway to the Highway 6 exit and then left on 6 will
get you into Hitchcock without having to deal with
I-45, but there are a number of traffic lights. Turn
left onto 2004 in Hitchcock to get to the dog track.
This will save you $1 if you coming from the West
side. This is slower, but more lightly traveled route.
Don't use this route if you are coming from the East.

I want to apologize ahead of time if following the
above advice actually makes things worse. Traffic
is a hard thing to predict. The above suggestions
should help, but you never know.

I will try to answer specific questions through
Thursday evening. Just e-mail me.

See you in a few days.

Jim Hedderick