Peripheral Test

To: "team.net" <autox@autox.team.net>
Subject: Peripheral Test
From: "Paul Foster" <pfoster@gdi.net>
Date: Thu, 8 Jun 2000 13:42:11 -0400
My first job out of college was with Union Carbide in Simpsonville,
SC. But first I had to pass a medical given by the company nurse. She
had me stick my head in this stereo gizmo with my glasses on and told
me to tell her whe I first clearly saw the pointer against a scale.
Because I was wearing glasses the pointer became visible but was
blurry at about the 20 mark, but it didn't appear 'clearly' until it
got within range of my glasses, which was about 12 as I remember. So
before answering I said, "Now, you said when I could see it clearly,
correct?" She said in an irritated manner "Yes". So I told her 12. She
looked at me kind of funny and finished the rest of the exam. When I
got back, I was informed by my boss to be that I had failed the
peripheral test. I explained to him what had transpired so he called
the nurse and asked what a 20 meant and was told that was better than
normal. But it took him a half hour to convince the nurse what had
happened, and to have her approve me despite her own test results.

Paul Foster