Re: VW GTI 16v engine Help

To: autox@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: VW GTI 16v engine Help
From: Abe Potter <vwpsycho@efortress.com>
Date: Sat, 10 Jun 2000 08:57:12 -0600
Hope this is still timely, I'm on the Digest.

Kevin,
    Engine failure is not very common on '85 -up Volkswagens. Generally
speaking, engines usually outlast the car. 250,000+ miles is quite
common. So, given that the rest of the Volkswagen will usually fall
apart before the engine, (PL)16V 1.8s are cheap at wrecking yards. Maybe

$300-$500 for a complete engine is the norm.
    A (9A) 2.0 16V is a much better choice, though, if you are going
through the trouble. I seem to have bought a few 2.0 16Vs from around
the country for in the $700 range. Yes, it is a 100% bolt-in swap. With
no changes. Your CIS-E will work fine, but I would get a Techtonics or
Autotech enrichment device if you haven't already. It is literally worth

10 hp all by itself.
    BTW, most people who actually *autocross* Volkswagens can be found
at  http://www.egroups.com/group/vwautox .

Good Luck.

Abe Potter
Volkswagen Intermountain