SS Results at Ayer NT

To: autox@autox.team.net
Subject: SS Results at Ayer NT
From: Andrew_Bettencourt@kingston.com
Date: Sun, 11 Jun 2000 16:40:43 -0700

Awesome super fast and flowing courses were what we needed in NER!  We run on so
many postage stamps that hitting the second turbo is impossible...

10 cars, 4 trophy spots

First run by Leverone set the pace with a 71.586.  Mike Soloman followed with a
72.762 and I had a 72.596+1.  Yikes!  Nick was really putting the heat on all of
us.

Second runs saw Nick improve .3 for a 71.229.  Mike went 71.858 and I had a
70.993+1 (seeing a trend develop?).

Final runs had a DNF for Nick - the hood popped up to the half latched position
and he was red-flagged, Soloman DNF'd by over-shooting a gate and I got all
crossed up in a fast section for a 72.329 - you guessed it, +1.  OK, fast raw
time on Saturday, now I was running for pride...  Day one results:

Leverone  71.229
Soloman  71.858
Bettencourt  72.993
Kim  73.796

Sunday saw a similar situation:  Leverone rips a run to serve as notice:
42.054.  Mike follows with a 43.105, and I am in with a 41.628+1.  OK, this is
starting to get out of hand.  4 runs and 4 cones...not good.  But WAIT! Chang
Kim lays a blistering 42.665 and it is clean, jumping into 3rd.

Second runs had Nick improving by .3 again for a 41.725 - but this time he has a
cone.  Soloman runs a 42.489 and I put a flipping run in the books with a 42.442
- .8 slower than my first run scratch but at least I am clean.  Chang has major
cone trouble but is now down to a 42.306 raw.

Final weekend runs were all or nothing for everyone:  Nick wanted the win, Mike
wanted to catch him, Chang wanted 3rd place and I wanted respect!  Nick led off
with an amazing 41.383.  Mike now needed over a second and a half for the win
and only got .1 to a 42.391.  I ran a fast 41.423, exactly .050 behind Nick for
the day and .15 behind Mike for the weekend.  Chang now rips a 41.955 to keep
the Vette's in the hunt.

Hit the rev-limiter in the RX-7 in second gear in two separate spots on a 40
second course...awesome.

Final results:

Leverone:  112.612
Soloman:  114.249
Bettencourt:  114.416
Kim:  115.751

Thanks to all the National staff and NER!  Congrats to Nick and Mike.  The
Bettencourt/Leverone tandem in Topeka is gonna make a run at the Gold!

Andy Bettencourt