Upside-Down Tracer at Tour

To: <autox@autox.team.net>
Subject: Upside-Down Tracer at Tour
From: "Bill Brockman" <billbroc@cybertours.com>
Date: Mon, 12 Jun 2000 22:32:20 -0400
I don't know how far this has gone yet (I'm on digest), but I just wanted to
explain what happened on Saturday when I rolled the car. I was coming
through the last of the transitions as I lost it. Since my car is narrow, I
was taking the section before as basically a straightaway. Therefore, I was
going relatively fast when I lost traction. Most everything that Heyward
said was dead-on. I lost it, it got worse, then I realized I was headed for
the start line/timing, and I tried to point the car the other way.
Obviously, it didn't work the way I hoped.
    There were a lot of contributing factors to the roll. The car is fairly
tall and tippy, but I had never had a problem with stability until saturday.
I'm not a total novice, I've done about 12 events in the last year and a
half. However, I've never run an event with a course as fast as this
weekend's. I'm used to tight, slower courses, like those that my home club,
Cumberland (Maine) Motor Club runs.
    The car did have the original _front_ shocks, with 61K on them. I'm sure
that was a contributing factor. The back has 3000 mile-old Tokico HPs. I had
ordered a new pair for the front a week and a half before the event, but
they didn't arrive on time. I definitely knew they needed to be replaced,
and now further appreciate the safety benefit of good shocks.
    The tires were Hoosier R3so3s. More grippy, and less predictable than
the Yokos and BFGs I drove on last year. This was my third event on the
hoosiers, The first two being tight Cumberland events. I liked the tires so
far, having won HS in those 2 events, but I did notice that they break free
abruptly. I understand that this was not a great setup for a (relative)
novice, but as Heyward noted, my budget determined my tire choice and
nothing else. I run on race tires only to save my street tires and to stay
in stock class (my +1 street tires & wheels are illegal).
    I don't really blame the course design either. I thought that section
was a little scary on my first two runs, but I understand that someone in an
MR2,etc.  would think nothing of it. I am glad it was changed, although it
probably wasn't dangerous for any class other than HS (or even most of the
other HS Cars).
    I don't know if anyone saw for sure, but I don't believe I had my hand
out the window. I didn't have any scrapes, just a bruise over the
pinkie/ring half of my left hand (but I am typing with it). I think it's
more likely that my helmet hit the hand as I rolled, or it just got bruised
by my own weight as I put it down/out to brace. I wasn't trying to hold the
car up, I was just trying to hold myself up.
    Anyhow, I better understand the risk of the sport now (you never
consider that something like that will happen), and I want to better prepare
myself and my car before I go back out there. (I'm already looking in
classifieds for a NA MR2, and I plan on doing an Evolution school before I
try another big national event).
    The car isn't hurt badly, we were able to drive it home. The windshield
is smashed, and the front foot or so of the roof is bent down. The A pillars
are relatively intact, not crushed, but they are bent back a half inch or so
(hopefully it can be straightened). The car will see the road again (but
maybe not an autox course).
    I do want to thank all of the participants and workers for coming to my
assistance over the weekend. Kathy Barnes especially, as well as Greg and
Anne Vincent for letting me rest in their motorhome, Mark Chessick for
helping me to the hospital for x-rays, and fellow HS competitor Mark
VanDeCarr for making a generous contribution to my repair fund, despite my
protest at the time. The concern and care that people showed me at the event
is what I love about this sport, the way competitors help each other out,
regardless of the competition. That's what will really keep me (and others)
coming back.

Josh Brockman
#36 HS, bent 89 Mercury Tracer
Member, NERSCCA and CMC
Sophomore, Mechanical Engineering, Washington University in St. Louis