Re: ayer roll, hold the mayo

To: scott_phelps@gdt1.com
Subject: Re: ayer roll, hold the mayo
From: Stephen Bernard <solo-2@juno.com>
Date: Tue, 13 Jun 2000 14:41:07 -0400
> Guilty as charged.  I should point out, however, that my incident
> was on course A, *NOT* the course the Tracer rolled on.  I came out
> of the start, got into 3rd, and was accelerating briskly when I
> realized the slalom that I had forgotten about was right in front of
> me. Whoops.  I attempted to make it around the 1st cone, didn't, hit

Hi Scott, I should have mentioned it was Course A sorry bout that.
I was a corner worker not far from where you "got aggressive"

> it, got the car VERY unsettled, and proceeded to take out the rest
> of the slalom as I let the car settle out, and coast to a stop. Once
> the car started to wag, I knew I needed to let the car go where it
> was going to, but there was also no people, cars, or anything to hit

Yes very unsettled and it did go on two wheels briefly. The car wagged
it looked like you tried to correct overdid it and then it spun rose up
on
2 wheels and then dropped down.

> but cones in my path either. It was entirely my fault, for not
> remembering the slalom was there, going too fast, and attempting to
> make it through.  I was fairly shook up, and it was quite a ride. I
> think the car was on two wheels, but I'm not sure. I doubt the car

Many people overdrove that course, it was a very fast course with
a lot of crossovers. I saw that Fuller or Tucker or whatever it was
called
(looked kinda like a white Triumph or Austin Healy) go up on 2 wheels
also on Course A he was over driving it around the big radius.
I am glad you didn't go over, but you did look like you were driving
less aggresively after that.
I think I heard a few Yee HA's when you spun, oh wait that was me. :)

> would have rolled, as it's pretty low, wide, + stiff, but the
> possibilty was there. Not one of my best moments in the!
>  three years I've been racing. I had plenty of frustration on the A
> course, as I don't think I walked it enough.  I enjoyed the B course

Be thankful you got a chance to walk it. :)
I got down to an 89.??? on the A course, but figuring out
where to go on course isn't easy.
I enjoyed the B course more as well, shorter course but a lot
of fun.

> more, and drove it much better, but I also walked it twice as much,
> so that may have had something to do with it. Both courses were very
> fast, and required LONG stretches of time in third gear. Lots of
> fun.

I never hit 3rd gear. But I did hit the rev limiter in 2nd for the first
time on
an Auto-X course.
I did get a chance to walk the B course but I still placed way down
on time. I did have a sprained left arm tho, funny how you forget the
pain
when you are in grid waiting for the starter to signal you to GO! :)

> So do I - My first tour event, I came away very impressed with the
> level of organization, the courses, the great people, and the keen
> competition.  Thanks to all who were responsible for putting on a
> great event.

They all did a great job, it was my first Tour as well but not my last.
I will have to be much faster for the next one tho.

Steve Bernard
Red '99 Miata (B-Stock)
NER Region (Novice Class)
mailto:Solo-2@juno.com