Inexpensive Negative Camber and Omaha Autox

To: "Probe Perf" <probe-perf@amber.org>, "Autox" <autox@autox.team.net>
Subject: Inexpensive Negative Camber and Omaha Autox
From: "Brian Berryhill" <brianberryhill@usa.net>
Date: Tue, 20 Jun 2000 16:09:49 -0500
I had two ideas, and I'm not sure which would work better, so I figured I
would run it by you guys:

1.  Slotting the lower mounting holes on the strut:  I don't know if this
would void the Tokico warranty or not.  They would have to be really anal if
it did.  It might not even be noticeable.  A removal of metal here would
have a greater effect than #2 below.  Drawbacks:  the tire is moved closer
to the upper spring perch, but this would happen with any cam-style camber
adjustment bolt.

2.  Slotting the upper strut mount holes:  This wouldn't void the Tokico
warranty, but for a ~25" long strut, a 0.5" long slot would be 1 - 1.5
degrees.  (r=25, d=50, c=50x3.14= ~160" for 360deg), the lower strut mount
holes are ~5" apart I think, so a 0.1" long slot would be the same effect.
That's less metal to grind away in only 2 holes instead of 4 front, 3 rear
for up top.  The good thing about this is that tire/strut clearance stays
the same, but I don't think there's a 0.5" of space to work with up top.

So, I think I'll try slotting the lower strut mounts after I leave Omaha.  I
just don't see spending the money for adjustable cam bolts.  Are such
suspension modifications legal for ST and DSP?

I was looking at the Nebraska region SCCA website... Omaha will be having an
autox July 9th at an AFB here.  There were a couple of Probes and an MX6
that race.

Anyone from around here that autox's in the region?  Des Moines has a pretty
active region too.

Brian

--
Brian Berryhill