Solo Event Math (was: Solo participation too high?)

To: <autox@autox.team.net>
Subject: Solo Event Math (was: Solo participation too high?)
From: Erik Van-der-Mey <autox@webcentrix.net>
Date: Wed, 21 Jun 2000 15:27:45 -0500
>  > While I don't actually think implementing entry prerequisites would
>>  actually work out, it would be nice to go to events with good
>>  competition without having to be at the event site from dawn to dusk for
>  > 3 runs a day at Tours (or short 8 and 4 run days at Pro's).

I agree that I do not like the idea of spending all day (dawn to
dusk) at the event site. (We already have this "problem" at the local
level and only get 3-4 runs).  But how about breaking it up into half
days? (Pro Solo attendies will recognize this format somewhat)

Have 8 heats (1 thru 8) and 8 run/work groups (A thru H)

Heat # Run Group Work Group
------ --------- ----------
1          A          C
2          B          D
3          C          A
4          D          B
middle of day (lunch break?)
5          E          G
6          F          H
7          G          E
8          H          F

This way a given entrant is not obligated to spend the entire day at
the event site. They run/work in morning/afternoon and have the other
half of the day off. Another idea is to have worker changeovers on
the fly (again borrowing from Pro Solo) to minimize down time.

Granted, you will have to make sure that the open and ladies run
groups (i.e. DS and DSL) happen in the same half of the day to keep
the divorce rate down ;-)

But you still can't escape the simple math of an event. You can only
run so many cars in a given time span.

300 entrants x 3 runs each x 30 seconds = 27000 seconds = 7.5 hours

This assumes that you release a car on course every 30 seconds and
that there are no reruns, no downtime, no lunch break, etc. You have
to add these factors to the 7.5 hours calculated above to get the
total event running time.

7.5 hr + 0.5 hr lunch + (0.25 hr between heats * 6) + (0.25 hr for
reruns) + (0.25 misc fudge factor) = 10 hours!!

Start at 9AM and you finish at 7PM... (or 8AM to 6PM, take your
pick). Doesn't leave much time to set up the course for the next day
and allow walking before it gets dark.

You could shorten the release interval to 25 or 20 seconds, but then
you compromise safety -- can the course workers reset the cones in
time before the next car gets there? If not you get a rerun situation
(more time!!)

i.e. 300 entrants x 3 runs x 25 sec. = 22500 sec. = 6.25 hr (1.25 hrs saved!!)

but then you end up with more reruns... maybe 3 times as many...

0.25 hr reruns x 3 = 0.75 hr (0.5 hr lost!!)

Your net gain is 0.75 hr -- the 10 hr event is reduced to 9.25 hours,
but what other compromises have been made? Perhaps the course workers
make more mistakes --  missing the cone on your competitor and giving
it to you? (minor) or perhaps we have some other incident because
cars/workers get too close together (major).

Someone earlier mentioned opening the Peru NT to 350 entrants. Do the math:

350 x 3 x 30 = 31500 sec. = 8.75 hrs

8.75 hr + 0.5 hr lunch + 1.5 hr btwn heats + 0.25 hr reruns = 0.25 hr
fudge = 11.25 hours!!

Start at 9AM end at 8:15PM... (who gets to run with the sun in their eyes??)

Regards,

--
Erik Van-der-Mey                          erik@nolimitsperformance.com
No Limits Performance, Inc.             http://nolimitsperformance.com