How about ProRallyCross?!?!? (was Re: ProSolo, Spectators, TV, et al.)

To: jogross3@hotmail.com, dg50@daimlerchrysler.com, autox@autox.team.net
Subject: How about ProRallyCross?!?!? (was Re: ProSolo, Spectators, TV, et al.)
From: "Arthur Emerson" <vreihen@hotmail.com>
Date: Mon, 26 Jun 2000 15:39:11 PDT
"John Gross" <jogross3@hotmail.com> wrote:

>It seems to me that it would be plausible to build a site such
>as you've talked about here, but for the financial reasons
>you've stated here, start with an asphalt site.

Agreed.  When designing the site, initially asphalt the
competition/paddock areas and leave the spectator parking
dirt.  As the venture becomes solvent, turn the bleachers
towards the dirt, pour concrete on top of the dirt, and
use the old asphalt competition surface for spectator
parking.

You know, I just came up with an idea that's so hair-brained
that it might actually work.  How about [insert drum roll here]
ProRallyCross!?!?!  I bet that there's a light bulb or
two lighting up at the Rally/Solo office in Denver right now! :-)
Build the bleachers, but leave the competition surface un-paved.
Run two cars at a time, in the ProSolo format, taking breaks
between heats/classes to run a tractor and rake over the lot to
remove any ruts.

>What's more fun for a spectator watching motorsports than
>seeing someone coming around a turn hanging the rear end of
>the car out, and saving it just in time for the next turn?

You said it, and a dirt track is the key to spectator
entertainment at the beginning.  Once they get used to
the format, pavement would seem like a logical progression
to them.  Of course, we know the whole evil plot. :-)

So, does anybody have some cash for such a hair-brained
idea???  Even more important, can somebody tell me how
to trademark ProRallyCross(TM)?????

-Arthur ("Adding new meaning to dirt-tracking a sweeper" edition.)