Re: Peru course impressions

To: <autox@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: Peru course impressions
From: William Loring <bloring@tirerack.com>
Date: Wed, 05 Jul 2000 10:17:34 -0600
> From: washburn <washburn@dwave.net>
>
> All those who rushed to judgment of the
> course based on a tiny map put on the website should do a follow up with
> their impressions after having driven it.

Here are the long-winded (sorry) thoughts of the primary "judgement rusher."

1: I shoulda kept my mouth shut about the maps.

2: I felt that the course was much like I thought it would be, only more so.
It was all _very_ fast, and in _most_ cases rewarded horsepower over
finesse. However, my original concern that Jack Burns' Protege would drive
away from us turned out to be completely incorrect, in fact he was so
disappointed with the car that he went home after Saturday, and is
reportedly giving the car to his daughter. That said, I would also say that
the course was fun (if not a huge mental workout), and that I had a good
time driving it. I heard this comment from several people, and I agree with
it: "I have never driven my car as _hard_ as I did this weekend."

3: The results have shown me that if the proposed class restructuring goes
through, I will have a very uncompetitive car when running fast courses such
as this. The amazing Jeff Cashmore beat our humble HS class by nearly three
seconds (in a former HS car!!). Jim Harn and I would have finished 8th and
10th, respectively. Ouch. There is no doubt that the list of drivers in ES
at this event was impressive as hell, but it still hurts. I would humbly
disagree with those that say that ES and HS should be combined. There should
be room at the bottom for those of us that don't have the money/desire to
have the newest/fastest equipment. I have no problem with the changes at the
top, I'm not qualified to judge them. But the view from down here is not so
good.

4: My congratulations go to Jim Harn, who simply outdrove me on Sunday. I
went into day two thinking I had a chance, but was shown that I have some
serious work to do on my high-speed skills. I also need to get a legal
steering wheel. Anyone have a Civic wheel they don't need? (grin)

5: KYR and the National Office did a remarkable job, and should be commended
for all of their hard work!

Regards,

William Loring

p.s. I have 20 homeless French Canadians living in my basement. They all
want to register for the CENDIV Divisional. I'm translating their entry
forms now, and will mail them in as soon as they can panhandle money for
postage.