rew: Stock Class Reorganization

To: "Autox List" <Autox@autox.team.net>
Subject: rew: Stock Class Reorganization
From: "Cliff Loh" <cliff_loh@infoserve.net>
Date: Thu, 6 Jul 2000 21:42:58 -0700
From: "Larry Steckel" <lorenzoscribe@hotmail.com>

>OK. I'll jump in here to mention that the only Volkswagen listed is
the
>Turbo New Beetle 1.8litre, and they have dropped it into most of what
is now
>E and H Stock.
>
>It just so happens that I am renting a Turbo Beetle automatic while
my GTI
>is getting fixed and from the performance that this thing has shown
me, I
>don't see this car as properly being in E or H Stock.  How about G
Stock
>with the rest of the turbos?

>I floored this thing as I came down the ramp to merge onto I-79 and I
was
>over 80 MPH in a heartbeat. I actually had to brake to stay out of
the car
>ahead of me. This puppy is fast.  I also feel a very good chassis
working
>under the car. The brakes are very good as well.  You can't see out
of it,
>but that's a different story.

You are correct that the 'Turbonium' is a fast car on the roads.  I
had a '99 GLS turbo for a weekend and put it through its paces.  It's
got a nice flat torque curve and the sport suspension helps a bit over
the regular VW A4 chassis setup.  I also ran it under autocross
conditions albeit with the bone stock setup and Goodyear Eagle RSA
tires (blecch!).  The car is not that great in terms of transitional
handling.  The bulk of the Beetle's body and higher CG than its
Golf/Jetta siblings makes it feel really sluggish.  It is more of an
E-stock car as my times were more in line with E/S than G/S running
street tires.

-c.
Cliff Loh, Vancouver, B.C. CANADA
"I started out with nothing & still have most of it left."
cliff_loh@infoserve.net,
inbred_hick@yahoo.com (alternate)