Reclassification Thoughts

To: autox@autox.team.net, rallysolo@compuserve.com
Subject: Reclassification Thoughts
From: Ajstratton@aol.com
Date: Fri, 7 Jul 2000 23:50:37 EDT
   I swore I was gonna sit this one out  ;-)  but I can't stand it anymore!!
As I reviewed this, it is kind of long, and purely my opinions, take it or
leave it.
alan

    I really feel sorry for the SEB and SCAC,  and anyone who has made
significant investments in this stock class.  You KNOW no one is going to be
happy regardless of how hard you try to be impartial.   The real question is
who are we going to alienate?  The drivers? The manufacturers?  Sponsors?
    It seems kind of ironic that we have determined that the system is broke
at a time when we are turning people away from National Tours and Pros..
(Are we going to turn away #1001 at Topeka?)  The system is far from perfect,
but will any major changes be improvements? Or, just changes.   No matter
what is done, there will be no more than three dominant cars per class..
probably course dependent.  You may claim, that if this is done right it will
be impossible to determine what car will win a given class next next.  The
top competitors will have a clue before the rulebook is out,(first printing),
 will be committed by March, and we will be in the same condition by July.
   As for specific class comments, I am only qualified to comment on GS, so..
 Notice that the new proposed GS, or whatever # they choose,  looks a lot
like what GS was before the DSM's and Type-R's were discovered?  Man, would I
be pissed if I sold my National Champ MX-6 from only 2 years ago!!  Bruce,
you still have your old Camaro?  Even a sleeper AWD, or two, in the mix.
   Some will say what sponsors??   The few manufacturers whose support we do
enjoy probably are not going to be too pleased when they perceive their
product is being "targeted due to it's success".  And a major shake up may
drive away some of the less devout competitors and sponsors...  But where
they continue to offer support, it will attract talent, and that will skew
your best efforts to create balance, especially after such a shake up.
   If all the top cars remain classed as the dominant car, people will cry
out  "it is fixed".   ( I challenge you to class the current single marque
classes unfavorably).  And if the classes are shaken to the point where the
current top cars become losers, you will end up with three types of unhappy
solo competitors.
   1) the Mazda/Neon/Honda/Toyota/Camaro drivers, for now at least,  "in the
right car" , will be stuck with underdog cars.. not happy campers.
   2)Miata/Neon/Honda/Toyota/Camaro drivers selling said cars, likely for
much less than they think is fair, and buying "different" cars... not happy
campers.
   3)  The same top drivers, in  a "different" car they'll spend a year and
many $$$ sorting, upset because they just got rid of a car that was sorted
and paid for..  They won't be as unhappy... they will still be winning.
    I on the other hand will just move out of state, retire the GSX, and take
a world cruise for a year.  When I return after the dust settles, I'll pick
up a Subaru for STS...(see how long THAT lasts!)  Happy, cause by then you
may have it figured out.
   Even with "member Input"  whatever happens, is what will happen.  I know
enough of you guys on the committees and boards to trust your efforts,
intentions and your integrity.  I don't envy the task you have before you.  I
know you are never going to hear the end of this, bet there's even a death
threat or two lurking out there before it's over <Grin>
  Have fun,
Alan