Re: Camber Limits - none required

To: autox@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Camber Limits - none required
From: Erik Van-der-Mey <autox@webcentrix.net>
Date: Mon, 10 Jul 2000 09:34:23 -0500

>>By allowing some degree .... :-)  .... of camber adjustment for all stock
>>cars, I fathom that tire wear factor would be better (i.e., cost
>>effective).
>
>agreed. But why would there have to be a "limit?" Once past a point, more
>negative camber is NOT a good thing. Measurement is too difficult to police
>anyway, so just say alignment is open to any measurement (front and rear I
>guess too).
>
>That allows the use of crash bolts even if your car wasn't graced from the
>"factory" with them. I do think there MAY have to be some sort of minimum
>size for the bolts though. Too skinny and we may have some safety issues
>(SNAP!). May be best to allow the combination of a percentage reduction of
>the original bolts size and a *reasonable* amount of Showroom Stock
>preparation on the struts and knuckles (whattya mean that that's not legal
>in Showroom Stock??!!??? Show me a Runoffs winning car that hasn't done
>that, ESPECIALLY a 240SX).

Sounds like those who are whining about not being able to get any
negative camber should be whining to the respective manufacturers of
their cars. Here's a sample letter:

Dear (Honda/Mitsubishi/Toyota/Mazda/Ford/BMW/DC/GM/etc):

Please provide a means for the grassroots racer to achieve negative
camber values of (insert your desired camber spec here) degrees.
Please also consider adding a really fat rear bar, 8" wide wheels, a
hollow catalytic converter and a "cheater" ECU program that is
activated by flashing the hi-beams 3 times...

--
Erik Van-der-Mey                    erik@nolimitsperformance.com
No Limits Performance, Inc.       http://nolimitsperformance.com