Re: DIY Tire Shaving?

To: Eric Linnhoff <eric10mm@qni.com>
Subject: Re: DIY Tire Shaving?
From: Randy Chase <randyc2@home.com>
Date: Mon, 10 Jul 2000 22:02:45 -0700

Eric Linnhoff wrote:

> Seriously though, most people only get shaved tires for the Nationals as it
> _may_ provide those last few hundredths of a second, but definitely not much
> more.

I have to disagree. The amount of difference depends on other factors,
like the tire, depth of tread, heat, and surface...but in my experience,
full tread counts for more than a few hundredths of a second, much more.
I have also seen many drivers who run shaved tires for all events, as I
do (unless it's raining..or I picked up a set used with tread).

Of course a Hoosier type tire would be a different story, but I always
shaved the R1s and the Toyos. Specially the Toyos. I was always at least
one full second back on those with tread....and winning with them fully
slick.

Randy Chase (on 2 slick Toyos and 2 full tread Toyos this last weekend,
and the car reacted just as poorly as I expected it would) :-)