Re: More Fiero - CS and Miata 1.6l

To: <Andrew_Bettencourt@kingston.com>
Subject: Re: More Fiero - CS and Miata 1.6l
From: "Paul Foster" <pfoster@gdi.net>
Date: Fri, 14 Jul 2000 12:25:41 -0400
><deep breath>

<counts slowly to 10>

>Let's take your BMW example.  Many people have stated that there
isn't a class
>worth of difference between the 1.6l Miata and the 1.8 or Sport
version in 1999.
>If that is the case then you could, for arguments sake, say that BS
and CS were
>VERY similar in performance potential.  What difference would it make
what class
>your new BMW goes into?  BS or CS run near identical times yet it
doesn't fit
>the character of the class as the current SCAC/SEB group have
designed.
>AFFORDABLE and fun with similar performance.

So BS is the expensive class and CS is the inexpensive class? I don't
consider $23K (for a new one) to be very expensive in this day and
age.

I see the 1.6/1.8 issue to be a matter of relative performance. The
cars are similar but I don't think you will find too many people who
think the 1.6 has a chance in BS. So in my mind moving the car to CS
should be solely based on one criteria: Is it going to be an overdog
and ruin the class? If so it should probably stay. If not, it should
probably be moved. YMMV.

>I think it is a good idea for the membership to have a class like
this.
>Somewhere a competitor can go to have a fun and quick car without
having to
>break the bank.  If ya'll don't like this sort of philosophy, write a
letter.
>The tides can change if there are enough waves.

I think it is a good idea to have classes where grassroots
oriented individuals, such as those who go to regional events, feel
that they have a chance of competing in their class more than trying
to cater to a specific segment who want to be able to win at Nationals
in a cheap car. I really don't
care if $80K Porsches or BMWs are competing against 12 year old Fieros
(or 12 year old Hondas for that matter) if they have the same relative
potential. The people in the cheaper cars should feel great that they
are beating some person who probably uses Grey Poupon.

I complained to the SEB when the competitive RWD cars were taken out
of DS to be CS fodder and it did no good. I fail to see how whining
all the time is going to accomplish anything besides giving you guys a
headache, particularly when it is just going to be dismissed as some
sort of I-class thing.

Paul Foster