Re: the geez classing system (Art E)

To: KWall73108@aol.com, autox@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: the geez classing system (Art E)
From: "Arthur Emerson" <vreihen@hotmail.com>
Date: Mon, 24 Jul 2000 14:28:24 GMT
KWall73108@aol.com wrote:

>When Rich co-drove your car, was the geez running, did he
>outscore you?

Yes and no.  On our last left course runs, we both scored
within a tenth of each other in overall ratings, yet he
was 0.9 seconds faster.  Both of us had a slew of 99%
runs over the weekend, and none of them were our fastest
by a long shot.

>The geez can be tuned to give more critical ratings if needed,
>see Byron's last article in North American Pylon.

Going back to my point, how can you use GEEZ to compare between
two cars when it can't even compare two drivers in the same
car accurately???  If you start twiddling with settings,
I'm sure that everyone at the event could come out a winner
with the "right" combo of options.  How do you pick the
"right" combo, and more importantly, how do you convince
X many drivers of what the "right" combo is???

>Hopefully you ran the the geez in your last car which was an underdog, how
>did your scores compare to your current car
>which is a ringer,

Despite what everyone thinks, my current car is NOT the
ringer of G-Stock. ;-) Comparing ratings with the same driver
between the two cars on different days and courses is equally
useless, IMHO.   To muddy the waters even more, the stats
formulas changed radically over the winter.  When I did the
software upgrade, I compared some printouts from the old
version against the same runs displayed in the new version.
In many cases, aggressiveness and smoothness flip-flopped.
Again, which version of the numbers should be used for
comparing drivers in a competition event???

>does any of this compare to your improvement in standings?

Without a standard reference course, it's hard to compare.
I'd have to say that my ratings in my old Loaf of a car
were generally a little better than in the new ride.  The capture
program was set to American SUV for pitch and roll in The Loaf,
and Import Sports Sedan in the Paintless Wonder.  Oops!  Another
parameter for everyone to argue over if it were used for scoring
in competition.

Anyway, if you've read this far, my only point is that
GEEZ is a great tool for seeing your runs and learning
from them.  It should not be used as a measuring tool to
compare two drivers or cars.  Lies, damn lies, and
statistics.

If anybody wants to continue this debate, it should
probably be moved to the GEEZ list.  I'm not subscribed
to that list from this address, so I can't cross-post
it from here.....

-Arthur ("Scored three 99%'s in Harrisburg and didn't even get
                                       a lousy t-shirt" edition.)