Seeing Red

To: "team.net" <autox@autox.team.net>
Subject: Seeing Red
From: "Paul Foster" <pfoster@gdi.net>
Date: Thu, 27 Jul 2000 12:29:59 -0400
<<<As an SCCA Club Racing Corner Worker (a guy in white),
I understand exactly what you're saying, but I might suggest that
you amend your statement for Solo II with something like "unless they
understand the gravity of, and are willing to pay strict attention to,
their responsbility for the safety of all concerned".>>>

First, I thank you for volunteering as a club racing corner worker.
Without you we cannot race.

Second, I agree with what you said. I see nothing wrong with taking a
spectator out to safe location to help shag cones (as long as they
have signed the waiver of course).

<<<I captain corners for several autocross clubs, and I always
impress upon my workers the paramount need for safety.  "If there's
the slightest doubt...if you even think you saw...", wave that red
flag
without a moment's hesitation!  Basically, I tell the rookies that
if they see something that doesn't "look right" to "go red" without
thinking about it.  (After all, stopping an autocrosser's run is not
like stopping a field of thirty Formula cars on the last lap).
The autox driver will love you for it, and if you stop long enough
to think whether or not danger exists, you have already made a major
mistake.  Safety is paramount...autocross workers don't just "pick up
cones".>>>

Here I disgree, particularly on courses with multiple cars running and
particularly if it is an important event. For one thing it needlessly
slows down the event to have bogus reds. And it also gives those who
get reruns an unfair advantage. If you have reasonable overlap a lot
of situations will correct themselves instead of bringing everything
to a grinding halt. So I think that red flags should only be used when
there is a clear a present danger and they should typically only be
used in concert with the guy on the PA so everybody gets stopped. This
is somewhat like a racing red which is only be used at the command of
the operating steward. But it is unlike a racing red because there are
times when the cone shagger needs to react quickly and use it on his
own. Fortunately, these are few and far between if you have someone
good on the PA.

Paul Foster