Re: Therotical tire purchase

To: "Autox@Autox. Team. Net" <autox@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: Therotical tire purchase
From: Dick Rasmussen <rasmussend@mindspring.com>
Date: Tue, 15 Aug 2000 18:16:03 -0400
At 11:05 AM 8/15/00 -0400, Jeff Lloyd wrote:
>Since my goal is to get the ultimate WET grip (I also want to use these as
>backup rain tires for solo2) and my dread
>After having my first serious hydroplaning experience a week ago.

If hydroplaning "resistance" AND "cost effectiveness" are both important,
also consider treadwear!

Many of the high performance tires that are good in the wet NEW wear out
relatively fast. They tend to start hydroplaning while you can still
remember how much you paid.

For street driving (mostly) and no real competition plans (most R tires are
better in wet autocrosses while slick than most street tires are with tread
I suspect unless the puddles are REAL deep. . . ), you might want to pick a
high performance All Season Tire with a really good treadwear rating (see
TireRack's web site for examples). One new one that comes to mind is the
new BFG. I forget the exact model but it is something like G -Force KDW and
has a treadwear rating of around 400 and is relatively inexpensive.
Dick Rasmussen
CM 85
85 Van Diemen RF-85 Formula Ford