RE: Protest in HS?I'm confused...

To: "Loren Williams" <Loren@kscable.com>, "autox list" <autox@autox.team.net>
Subject: RE: Protest in HS?I'm confused...
From: "Bruce Haden" <Bhaden@ucsd.edu>
Date: Fri, 15 Sep 2000 07:50:25 -0700
Correct me if I'm wrong, but last year, didn't Ms K. Kelley have her
Miata protested for improper dimensions of the shock assembly, I think
the distance from the mounting eye to the spring perch was too short.
I believe the protest was disallowed because the descrepancy was due to
settling of the rubber in the bushing, causing the car to ride 1/8" too
low or something like that. If I'm right, how is a "worn" shock bushing
that gives a lower center of gravity and a slight performance gain O.K.,
but a worn distributor bushing that gives a performance DISadvantage is
penalized. The rules statement about "must be in factory specs" would
seem to apply to a shock dimension just as readily as to a timing setting.
Both are finite numbers.

> > Yes, The detemination was that the timing was not off intentionally. It
was
> > in fact retarded, not advanced as one would expect to gain a performance
> > advantage.  If anything it was hurting him.  The distributor has
something
> > like 150k+ on it and is one of the few things on the car that is not
new.

> Retarded? He should have been given a handicap not penalized!

I would tend to agree.  But, the PC ruled in accordance with the rule book,
which states that ignition settings must be within factory specs.  I hope
Russ wins the appeal, but I'm not holding my breath.  I guess they could do
something like uphold the protest but rescind the penalty... again, I'm not
holding my breath.