Re: AM "winged" rollover?

To: autox@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: AM "winged" rollover?
From: GSMnow@aol.com
Date: Sun, 17 Sep 2000 14:58:41 EDT
From: Brian Berryhill <brianberryhill@usa.net>

>From the daily updates site via
http://www.scca.org/amateur/solo2/2000nationals/index.html

<<"We had an incident today that was connected to the extraordinary wind. An
A Modifed winged beast got up on 2 wheels at high speed on the South Course
and the wind grabbed it's huge wing. Only instead of providing downforce, as
these wings are designed to do, it provided lift and the car went right
over. The driver and car were fine -- he removed the wing and went right
back out to finish his runs for the day. Unfortunately, the wing, which was
made of metal, was badly crushed.
- -- Danielle Engstrom" >>

<<Does anyone know any other details on this?>>

I was watching the car ahead of him with a cam corder when it happened. I
missed it actually going over, but the gust of wind almost blew me off of the
bleachers. The person next to me said he got a bit sideways and was sliding,
then the car seemed to get hooked in a pavement crack or something right as
the wind gusted, and the car went up fairly slow and bicycled for a bit, but
he could not save it. When it did over balance, the wing crushed like a bear
can and the roll bar hit fairly slow. The only damage beyond the wing was the
left front rim got bent. That was from the original hook on the ground before
it was half way over.

Not sure how or why, but the engine revved up and the tires were spinning
very fast as it finnished going over. I have that part on video tape as I
swung over to it when everyone gasped.

Gary M.