Backspacing vs. Offset

To: John Lieberman <johnlee@softdisk.com>
Subject: Backspacing vs. Offset
From: Dick Rasmussen <rasmussend@mindspring.com>
Date: Mon, 25 Sep 2000 21:17:29 -0400
At 07:39 PM 9/25/00 -0500, John Lieberman wrote:
>Somebody correct me if I'm wrong here (without flames, please, since I
>think this is a legitimate question) but, as I understand it, positive
>offset means moving the tires/wheels farther out from the side of the
>car. That should be achieved by a SMALLER backspace on the rims.  To
>my way of thinking, a 5-inch backspace on an 8-inch rim would hardly
>produce much of a positive offset.  Am I missing something here?!?!?
>8<{)
John,

It appears that there are two different "signing conventions" for positive
vs. negative offset.

Here is one of them:  http://www.ttrsracing.com/fitmet_diagram.htm

which, as shown in this table, for this signing convention,
http://www.ttrsracing.com/revo4spoke.htm

means positive offset results in more backside spacing. Look specifically
at the 5.5" X 13 wheels since they have versions for both positive and
negative offset.

However, I'm pretty sure I've seen the opposite.

Dick Rasmussen
CM 85
85 Van Diemen RF-85 Formula Ford