Re: Trophies

To: "Dick Rasmussen" <rasmussend@mindspring.com>,
Subject: Re: Trophies
From: "William Schenker" <schenker@mediaone.net>
Date: Tue, 26 Sep 2000 19:10:52 -0700
I have to agree w/Mark here.  I can see trophies beyond third at the local
level (if people want it), but are we not talking about a National
Championship, which by definition, is for the best in the country?  I've
never heard of trophies going beyond 5th place at a national championship.

I'm very new to this sport, but it sure seems to me that this "trophy
inflation" is the result of special interests having been met sometime in
the distant(?) past.

Now, points towards a season-long series being given out beyond third, sure.
But at the National Championships?  No.  this is, after all, not Little
League where everyone gets a "trophy" so that everyone feels good - for kids
yes; for "adults", no.

And just so no one thinks I'M serving MY own special interest here, I
compete in Cal Club in csp w/Palmquest, Berry, Endicott and Mosso and it
doesn't happen too often that I can trophy in my local races, so I sure
don't think it's going to be anytime soon that I place in the top-three at
Nats.!  As further backround,  I have two bookcases full of trophies from my
twenty-five years as an internationally ranked Alpine ski racer, which
included racing in the World Champs. and Olympics as well as being Masters
World Champ.  I've grown used to "trophying" and would love to continue in
my new sport, but not at the expense of "easy" trophies.

And I'll leave you w/one more thing.  Webster's Collegiate Dictionary's
definition of trophy:  "Something gained or given in VICTORY (my emphisis)
or conquest."

I shall now step off my pedestal, with no reward in hand, and go back to
watching the Games, which can't even be ruined by NBC's crappy coverage or
all of this positive drug results stuff!

Bill Schenker
'99 Miata 10AE
Team CalClub #36csp
S.C.A.T. (SDR) #58 csp