Re: Some thoughts on Ladies Classes

Subject: Re: Some thoughts on Ladies Classes
From: "Mark J. Andy" <marka@telerama.com>
Date: Wed, 27 Sep 2000 08:08:05 -0400 (EDT)
Howdy,

On Tue, 26 Sep 2000, Lloyd Loring wrote:
> Consider this. You have a competitor whose wife comes and drives (in
> the Ladies Class.) This competitor and his wife are likely to remain
> in the sport for some time if either or both of them do well and have
> fun.
>
> Eliminate the Ladies classes and the wife, having been required to
> run in the open class against her husband and all other comers
> quickly becomes frustrated with the sport, gives up and stays home
> (the driver probably married her for traits other than pure
> competitiveness.) Pretty soon she is asking her husband why he has to
> spend so many weekends in distant parking lots when there are other
> really nice things they can do together on a sunny Sunday.

I've heard this argument from various people and it seems to have merit.
Here are some issues I have with it though.

1. We're talking only about divisionals and above, not regionals.  I can
attend ~8 or so of those events in a year (geographically based, figuring
4 pros, 3 tours, and nationals) outta the 20 or more events I run.

2. I'd be really interested to know how many ladies would quit if the
ladies classes weren't available.  Like I've mentioned before, my sample
size is very small, but I don't know any ladies competitors that'd quit.

3. What about the frustrated mid-pack guy?  He doesn't matter?  Why should
we only care about frustrated women?

Mark

(I'll stop ranting on about this soon and just write the letter, I
promise.)