Re: Contributing to the SM Inclusion List

To: "Matt Murray" <mattm@optonline.net>
Subject: Re: Contributing to the SM Inclusion List
From: Alan Dahl <adahl@eskimo.com>
Date: Wed, 6 Dec 2000 00:22:14 -0800
On Tuesday, December 5, 2000, at 10:00 AM, Matt Murray wrote:
> The following are from the slacker inclusion list that DG posted the URL
> for. They are all considered for inclusion. IMO, these come under the
> heading of "rare". In comparison to what is excluded with the "rare" tag,
> there seems to be quite a bit of inequity in this list. It has the
> "perception" of "I" classing.
>
> The less I knew of SM, the more I accepted its existence. The more I look,
> the more I think these cars need to be addressed (read:  reclassed) into the
> current structures. Please remember, all of this is IMO.
>
> AMX, Javelin (all)
>  Milano
> America (all)
> 2002 ti & tii (all) Bavaria 1800ti, TISA
>  Corvair & Yenko Stage I & II & III (all)

I would hardly call the Corvair rare, they built 1.9 million of them, many of
which are still around. Sure real Yenkos are fairly rare but it's not that hard
to build a Yenko from a regular Corvair, in fact Yenko conversions are legal in
road racing. Because of the Corvair Society of America and the efforts of
businesses like Clark's Corvair Parts and Corvair Underground cars and parts
are both easy to come by. IMHO the Corvair is just the type of car SM needs and
not at all a "rare" car.

- Alan Dahl
'66 Corvair Corsa Convertible (is anyone surprised? :-)
  ___   ____     Alan Dahl               | home: adahl@eskimo.com
 /_ /   /  /     Federal Way, WA, USA    | work: Alan.Dahl@PSS.boeing.com
/  /  _/__/      --- http://www.eskimo.com/~adahl ---- ICQ 52688023 ------