Ah, "Pro"-Solo again

To: autox@autox.team.net
Subject: Ah, "Pro"-Solo again
From: Benjamin D Thatcher <bthatch@juno.com>
Date: Wed, 27 Dec 2000 21:33:01 +0000
We visit the dreaded thread about Pro-Solo once again. The big question
being is it a viable medium for TV exposure?

Yeah, it's exciting to watch IF you are in the know about traditional
autocrossing. However IMHO it will never make it to TV. Why?

1. It's too difficult to tell who wins. Remember the courses AREN'T
identical. They are mirror image and ever so different from each other.
Therefore, it is traditional autocross run on two different courses that
just happen to be run in close proximity to each other, period. The
appearance of head to head competition is an illusion. They still have to
add the times for each course together to determine a winner.

2. Too many classes. This is a necessary function in the current format
because we have to have them to draw the entries from the current amateur
pool of drivers. It's a Catch 22 because you can't develop several
dynamite classes without serious money on the table and without the
serious money you can't have the limited number of classes. Also, the
viewing public will never be thrilled watching completely stock cars
racing each other IMHO. Yet, the stock classes are where the current
action in Pro Solo lives.

Now, what to do? In my opinion, run head to head on the same course like
we did at NOPI Nationals in 1999. This format runs cars directly against
each other on the exact same course. Whoever crosses the finish line
first wins. Refine it with timing and a handicapping tree and you'd have
a TV winner. However, then we have to find a bigtime sponsor to lay out
the bucks to put together a half hour TV format that really jazzes the
concept. Matt Murray knows how to do this.

If Denver is interested in developing this concept, I'm willing to offer
my experience in putting together such a format. Rocky Entriken, who
developed the original Mirrorkhana concept, should be in on that
development, also.

Ben Thatcher
Apex Benefit Services & Motorsports
Stockbridge, GA