Pylon for Dec. 2000

To: "Team.net" <autox@autox.team.net>
Subject: Pylon for Dec. 2000
From: John Kelly <76067.1750@compuserve.com>
Date: Thu, 28 Dec 2000 14:36:38 -0500
This message was originally sent on Saturday, Dec. 23, 2000, and then it
apparently encountered a red flag. Twice. The following is an official
re-run.--John Kelly

According to the North American Air Defense Command, Santa Claus will reach
your home before the December 2000 issue of North American Pylon. But we're
hoping Pylon won't be too far behind

        We mailed Pylon for December 2000 on Friday, Dec. 22 in San
Francisco and it's now frantically making its way to subscriber's
doorsteps.
        This month we feature event reports from
        -Detroit Council's season finale.
        -Allied vs. Axis in Tallahasse, FL, where they count things
differently.
        -New York drivers win the 36th annual TriState Championship;
                -New Jersey and Connecticut drivers lose out.
        -Colan Arnold trades chairs with G.H. Sharp and becomes the Solo
Events Board chair.
        -Virginia Motor Sports Club swings at Pertersburg, VA.
        -NASA-Virginia does its version of the Motorola Cup.
        -Nevada checks in with two Las Veags events and one at Reno's Stead
AFB (ret.).
        -BFG CenDiv Series final 2000 points standings.
        -A Solo I from Puerto Rico.
Plus, columns by
        -Pat Kelly questioning if Street Mod will end up as "odd" as Street
Prepared and includes thoughts from Art Trier, former SEB chair who
developed the original Street Prepared rules.
        -George Ryan appears to be inventing something new in Tulsa.
        -Roger "the Real" Johnson writes about handling front wheel drive
and warms up for a series of articles that will start in January 2001 on
course design.
        -Lorenzo the Scribe goes car shopping with a hang-up. He wants to
buy something that will use the spare set of wheels he already owns.
        Editor Kelly offers some thoughts on General Motors dropping
Oldsmobile; Dave Beck will do one more set of PAX Index numbers and then
retire; and suggests SCCA would be far better off if there was a logical
progression from Stock to Street Prepared to Prepared, etc. (Even if there
was a neon sign proclaiming "Logic 'R' Us" in SCCA's Englewood lobby, we
all know it will NEVER happen.)
        -Bryan Beckman, holder of a Ph.D. in physics, describes how to
develop a computer program to simulate car dynamics. When Beckman
originally wrote the series we've been re-producing, his day job was at the
Jet Propulsion Lab in Pasadena, CA. Now he's at Microsoft in Washington and
written two additional chapters that will run at the end of the sequence.

Plus . . .
        We have a photo spread in our center secion of the 28 F Street
Prepared drivers who didn't make it into our October 20000 Nationals issue.
FSP drew 39 drivers at its inaugural Nationals appearance, an outstanding
effort.
        Several prominent Solo II drivers have been trying their skills at
road racing. We have photos of Belinda Endress in the Women's Global GT
Series, Scotty White in the World Challenge, and Neal Sapp who won the
Speedvision World Challenge Touring Car race at San Diego in November. In
the future we'll catch up with former Solo II Class champions T.C. Kline
and Shauna Marinus who have been racing in one of the American LeMans
Series support series.
And...
        -Our road test this month is the 2001 Oldsmobile Aurora. After
tester Bill Lorenzen pronounced the Aurora as "saving" the GM division, the
general announced they're dropping the line.
        -Our Autocross Calendar is starting to grow with events for 2001.
One even happens on New Year's Day.
        -Garage Sale offer several more cars for sale.

Autocross drivers interested in subscribing can check our web page at
<www.napylon.com>      Cost is $24 for 12 monthly issues.
        Or call 1-800-KT-KELLY during west coast biz hours, 9-5, M-F and
charge to
Visa, MasterCard, or Discover.
        Or FAX your name, address, state, postal zip, and your credit card
number to
1 (925) 846-0118. It operates 24/7.
        Yes, we can start your subscription with the Nationals issue
(October 2000). If you want a three issues-for-free deal, we cannot supply
the National issue.
See our advertisement in the SCCA's 2001 Solo II rule book.
        Among the news stands that carry Pylon are Tower Record/Video's
news rack in all their stores. Plus Newsbreak in Swansea, MA and Rhode
Island also carries it. Alas Joe's news stand in Coral Gables, FL, has
closed.

--John Kelly