Re: "new" scca logo

To: "Team.net Autocross List" <autox@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: "new" scca logo
From: "Mike Smith" <msmith2@columbus.rr.com>
Date: Sat, 7 Apr 2001 02:27:47 -0400
You can correct me if I'm wrong here, but clubs are about numbers, right?
Doesn't just about every club in existence have increasing membership as a
primary goal?. If the number of members in the club did not matter, why the
push for programs designed to increase membership?

There are only so many people in the U.S. that have "classic sporting cars
from the vintage era", mainly because there are only so many "classic
sporting cars from the vintage era" left. If you're pushing to get increased
membership, just where are you going to get them?

Limiting the SCCA to just those cars and their owners is just plain
self-defeating. Like any species without any sort of reproductive
capability, (it's not like they're making classic sporting cars any more),
it will eventually die out, and be replaced by something more popular.

Rather than be replaced, SCCA will evolve to ensure it's survival, even if
the 'S' in SCCA eventually stands for SUV. Given the slant on the numbers,
just be glad classic vintage sporting cars are still in the books at all.

Mike