SP/SM and costs

To: autox@autox.team.net
Subject: SP/SM and costs
From: "Ron Chapman" <CHAPMANR@calbt.com>
Date: Thu, 26 Apr 2001 14:53:55 -0700
Some of the posts on this issue show a belief that SM is an affordable class.
My opinion is that it may be so only as long as remains smog legal and  isn't a
national class.

Sure, some of the SM mods give a lot of bang for the buck and are popular mods
on street cars (subframe connectors, camshafts).  But, since it isn't a
national class, the truly inventive and serious national competitors aren't
building anything for it yet.  But if and when they do, be ready for some
serious, high dollar machinery.

Like SP, SM will be a class that is easy to land in and very expensive to build
a car for.  I wasn't around for it (and feel free to correct me if I'm wrong),
but I believe the genesis for SP was also the desire for an affordable modified
class.  But, two areas of the rules caused a huge escalation of the costs- the
lack of limitations on fuel delivery and ignition and the update/backdate
rules.  Electramotives are expensive, kids.  And so is buying hatchbacks,
doors, etc in order to replace competely functional ones with lighter ones from
a different year.  Open the door for all the other goodies (forced injection,
engine swaps, etc.) and the costs balloon.

In terms of SM participation, I have the impression that a lot of it comes from
pony car guys who have subframe connectors.  I don't know why the SEB hasn't
allowed this in SP, but they should.  That would solve any problems that might
exist with ESP entries.  But, no, let's not go there.  Instead, let's
anticipate the day when when those heavy, live rear axle cars are gridding next
to some light, turbocharged, electramotived, custom Koni'd car on 13 x 9 inch
Keizers and I believe you'll see an exodus of ponycars.  I had a few giggles
when I noticed that the winning SM car at the recent California national events
was a certain very well-driven German car which caused much costernation in the
ESP ranks last year.

I have nothing against SM or adding classes if the participation is there.
But, absent a spec formula, any idea of creating an "affordable" class which
allows considerable modifications to stock cars is doomed if it is a) a
national class, and/or  b) drops smog legality.

A class can be created for affordable stock class cars. We have at least four
of them- C,D,E, and F stock.  But if you want to modify the car and be able to
play nationally, get our your checkbook, your Visa card, mortgage the house,
and cash in the college fund, because that's what its gonna take.

Ron

84 CRX CSP (yes, its a money pit and I'm not fast enough (yet))
99 Miata BS