RE: Advertising events (was something else)

To: "Linnhoff, Eric" <elinnhoff@smmc.saint-lukes.org>
Subject: RE: Advertising events (was something else)
From: Reijo Silvennoinen <rase@telusplanet.net>
Date: Mon, 21 May 2001 10:20:07 -0600
I can see your point since in my case I am not particularly interested in the
eastern events since they are so far away except perhaps the National Tour
events and results.  Even California is a solid 3 day drive from here.  ;^(
Maybe the key is to advertise the larger events that are geared toward and
likely to draw participants from further away.

Carol's mentioning the Cheyenne street solo is good since it is within
"striking" distance for a weekend for us - a long drive but not impossible - I
think - have to check on that since it has been a while since I drove through
Cheyenne.

Outside of this medium it would be difficult to know where to look or find these
kinds of events and reminders are useful for myself anyway.  As a consequence of
Carol's reminder, I have forwarded the message to our local list at the Calgary
Sports Car Club.  I'll see what happens and it is conceivable that a few of us
might head down that way.

On that note, we are having the inaugural Canadian Autoslalom - Western
Championship in Calgary soon (C.A.W.C. - June 9/10 - see www.CNACsolo.ca for the
info on the event as well as the Canadian National in Winnipeg ).

We are hoping to attract attention to the CAWC (as well as the CNAC and CAEC)
and hopefully draw participants from further away - such as the NW 'States and
the west in general.  We have gone out of our way, spending considerable time to
make as good an event as possible and anticipate that it will be our largest and
best event of the year.  It has been a lot of work and we were a bit behind in
getting the web site up to snuff and have more to do but it is looking pretty
good right now.

Joe Cheng and Gary Milligan of Vancouver, BC will, in fact, be attending the
CAWC event with their A-Mod Phantom which placed 1st and 2nd at the SCCA
Nationals last year.   ;^)  Another bonus is that the event will take place at
Race City - our local racing facility and there is an aerial photo of the
facility at our web site - and included in the entry will be passes to the
Canadian National Superbike races which are on at the same time.

So, in short, publicizing of events I find is useful for getting the word out to
people who are looking for a new challenge, meet new people, and experience a
different side of autocross.

I wonder if this might lead to semi-professional autocrossing?   ;^)

And, of course, needless to say, there is always the delete key.

Regards,

Reijo

--
Reijo Silvennoinen,