A Few Words From Your 2001 Solo2 Nationals Worker Chief

To: "Sandi Brown" <sandilew@cswnet.com>, <tashag@compuserve.com>,
Subject: A Few Words From Your 2001 Solo2 Nationals Worker Chief
From: "Karen Christoff, Ph.D." <pykac@olemiss.edu>
Date: Fri, 27 Jul 2001 14:05:33 -0500
I'm recalling a conversation I had with Vicki Flier when she was the worker
chief for the nationals about how she never knew how many "best" friends she
had, and I may regret going public with this, but...

Part of what Solo2 is all about is the cooperative spirit of competitors
which serves to allow us to run events of this size.   It is extremely
important that every competitor complete a work assignment to allow the
event to run as smoothly as possible.

I am just beginning to understand the magnitude of effort that goes on
behind the scenes and before the event to make the nationals happen.  My
very good friend Sandi Brown has been working tirelessly on this for months
already and is continually trying to figure out ways to make everything run
more efficiently.  However, she, even with her minions, cannot do it without
your help.  We have far more entrants registered than we did at this time
last year, so this promises to be a challenging event, not only for the
competitors, but also for the event administration and national office
staff.  We need the help of each and every competitor to make this the best
nationals ever.

While everyone is required to complete a work assignment, there is a vast
array of things that need to be done both before and during the event.  We
would like to capitalize on your skills and accomodate your requests as we
match workers and assignments.  I will try my best to get you the assignment
you want, but my first priority has to be to get all positions covered.  If
you have a special request, please let me know as soon as you can.  It is
much easier to deal with requests as I make assignments rather than switch
people around after assigments have been made.

This year, as in In past years, I will entertain requests for work
assignments on off days and generally require that you work two shifts each
day (or the equivalent) if you work on your off days.  This works well for
folks running on Thurday and Friday since many run the ProSolo finale or the
warm-up event on the weekend and are in Topeka anyway.  It obviously works
less well for Tuesday and Wednesday run groups since many folks need or want
to leave town Wednesday evening or early Thursday.  I will almost always be
able to accomodate anyone who wants to work Thursday/Friday after running on
Tuesday and Wednesday, but cannot always accomodate Thursday/Friday drivers
who want to work on Tuesday and Thursday.  I will try, however, to
accomodate as many requests as I can as long as I can keep all work
assigments covered for all four days.  If you would like to work on your off
days, please let me know either via direct e-mail (pykac@olemiss.edu) or
write your request on your entry form.  Please, please, please don't send
these requests to the entire list.

There are also a few jobs you may not know about, that I need to have
filled.  I would welcome volunteers for these, so let me know if you are
interested, again via direct e-mail or written on your nationals entry form:

Gate workers for the Friday before the ProSolo finale (9/7) - A great way to
get your work assignment out of the way very early!

Registration workers for Sunday 9/9, Tuesday 9/11, and Wednesday 9/12. These
are for pretty long shifts, but they are indoors and you can sit down.
Another way to get your work assignment out of the way so you won't need to
work on the days you run.

Worker check-in - we need one person for each heat to check-in workers and
then stay around the timing truck to field questions so that the T&S workers
won't be bothered with random complaints or requests for  information.

Spotters for event photographers - I have a request for spotters all day on
Tuesday and Thursday.  If you'll be there on your off days and want to spend
some time with a photographer, I would love to be able to assign one person
to do the entire day.  This will get your entire assignment out of the way
in one day.

Pavement integrity coordinators.  These folks go over the courses after all
heats have been run, target areas that need patching, and help make the
necessary repairs to the course.

Please let me know if you are interested in any of the above or if you have
any special requests regarding your work assignment.

Your new "best" Friend

Karen Christoff
2001 Solo2 Nationals Worker Chief

If I ask again that you send requests directly to me at pykac@olemiss.edu
and NOT to the entire list, will you do it???