Rollbars and autocross protests

To: hottvr@birch.net
Subject: Rollbars and autocross protests
From: Dennis Hale <dhale_510@yahoo.com>
Date: Wed, 5 Sep 2001 07:07:55 -0700 (PDT)
>If Mr. Hale used 12 feet of 2.0 tube for the main
hoop >it would only weigh 8.004 lbs more than the 1.5
x .125 >tubing. To me thats not that  big of a deal???

>Mike B. 99cm

I fully understand the "weight penalty". The car
requires 75# of ballast, the "weight penalty" was not
a concern, getting the main hoop bent was the bigger
issue when I built the cage.
This was all done 10 years ago, the rules for Prepared
classes have "been clarified, consolodated, but not to
exclude existing cars" since then. At that time we had
to crossreference at least three carefully written but
on different planets rulebooks to get our answers. It
was not clear how one could progress through a buildup
project, still isn't for that matter. The rules work
for a "clean shhet start" project.
Remember Mr Komush at this time had built an EP car
from a model never sold in this country [Escort
"Mexico" coupe], put the radiator in the trunk, moved
the seat to the center and back into the rear of the
car, and installed a Cosworth twincam BD series moter.
He used it to win nationals. Well, his codrivers used
it to win anyway. He pushed the rule confusion very
very hard. Then he threatened me over the oversized
roll hoop. At Nationals after running with me [well,
technically over me] locally.
The point was, there are mean sprited twits out there
and they thrive at Nationals. And there defenders spin
the dance, "You've already penalized yourself.."
Bah, 2000 miles to tornado alley for that, not again!

=====
Dennis Hale